Hello lovelies happy Friday. Happy rainy weekend. Happy Pumpkin Black Bean Turkey chili timeee. This is the kind of chili that comes together in a simple yet beautiful manner, makes your teeny studio apartment smell like family and is the ultimate comfort after any emotional rollercoaster of a day you may be having.
Needless to say I am romantic (and a little cheesy) about food. Are you over it yet?
How have you guys been though? I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve poured my heart into a TNK post with my dietetic internship in full swing and being in D.C. for FNCE this past weekend. It was quite the experience and will definitley be sharing updates next week so stay tuned for that 🙂 I honestly already miss it and am really excited for next year (when I am officially attending as a dietitan) to see how far I’ve grown and new real life connection to be made.
Until then…PUMPIN TURKEY BLACK BEAN CHILI. I ate this chili for 5 days straight, no complaints whatsoever. Even if you’re not a pumpkin fan, it’s less about lending a pumpkin “flavor” and more about the texture it brings. Seriously you may want to start adding pumpkin to ALL your chili recipes after this. And aside from being a trendy Fall spice, pumpkin is actually a nutrient powerhouse.
Thinks lots of vitamin A, antioxidants, lutein, zeaxanthin (great for eye sight!), and FIBER. For me, food is meant for the soul but with that comes quality nourishment. And this chili does all of that in one; not to sound like a walking advertisement or anything but this is genuinely my FAVORITE BEST EVER chili recipe and if I could I would ship it out to each and every one of you…
Is that a possiblitiy? Anyone capable of helping me make that happen? You’ll notice I topped the chili with cornbread crumbles + ALL THE CILANTRO because:
a) cilantro has my heart and
b) my GF maple quinoa cornbread muffins just hit your inbox last week…
So you may as well be obligated to make both and have a HEALTHY comforting meal during the rainy weekend. The perfect pair to your WORLD SERIES DODGER PARTY. Preferably with L.L. Bean slippers and a fireplace.
I hope you enjoy my GO-TO CHILI recipe as much as I do friends! Nutrient packed, simple ingredients and warms the soul. What more do you need this weekend?!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small jalapeno (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder +1 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 5 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz. fire roasted tomatoes*
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice from 2 limes
- Toppings: Fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, cornbread
- Instant Pot Method: Turn on saute setting for 10 minutes and saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic with olive oil. Once vegetables begin to soften, add in the ground turkey and continue to saute (make sure the lid is off when on this setting). Stir in the coconut aminos and spices and continue to cook.
- After 10 minutes is up, switch settings to chili/soup and add in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let the chili come together and cook for 20 minutes. Stir and top with fresh cilantro and cornbread crumbles!
- Slow Cooker/Stovetop Method: In a large pan sautee the onion, garlic and bell peppers with olive oil over medium high heat. Once the vegetables soften, add in the ground turkey and cook until brown (about 5 minutes). Add in the coconut aminos + spices and stir for a minute.
- Place turkey mixture into the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and cook for 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low.
If you can't handle spicy, leave out the jalapeno!