Hello and nice to meet you! I’m Selena, the 24 year old wellness lady behind TNK, a place for inspiration to fuel your body and feed your soul. On here I share my deep rooted passion for honest foods, feel good fitness and living a down to earth lifestyle.
I once started a food blog back in 2013 during my undergrad days. It was centered around homemade healthy recipes to share with family and friends. Since then, A LOT has changed! I experienced some wild adventures while navigating my 20s, took a long break from the internet blogosphere, all while learning about myself along the way. More on that here.
During college I found my niche for nutrition after suffering from painful digestive problems growing up and unhealthy relationships with food & exercise as a teen. This led to a lot of self-discovery and learning the powerful impact food can have on our bodies and soul. These struggles brought immense strength to my life and since then I’ve learned how to respect my body with feel good nutrients, which has had an especially positive impact on my love for fitness, pilates and long distance running!
While at Cal Poly and UCLA I worked in sports nutrition, bringing together my nerdy passion for science, wholesome foods and all things sports. I loved working one on one with athletes and found my mind thrives off helping others discover their own health journey towards optimal performance and optimal LIVING! Since then I’ve earned my degree in Nutrition Science and am pursuing my dreams as a dietetic intern in BOSTON. I hope to delve deeper into sports nutrition and functional medicine because I truly believe food can be a vital source of physical and psychological well being.
10 Things About Me & TNK Livin
1. Music Vibes: Deep down I am an old soul. I can easily get lost in an Etta James or Louis Armstrong record. I would do anything to go back in time to that era and fully experience the music.
2. Favorite Sports: I come from a long line of Dodger baseball fans. Even after my grandma had a terrible stroke, she still remembered to watch EVERY single game, all the players and history. Because of this and other special reasons, baseball in general is close to my heart.
3. Love for Fitness: A dream of mine is to follow in my dads footsteps and qualify for the Boston Marathon. Ironically growing up I hated running, and now it brings so much mental strength to my life. Training for marathons and outdoor adventures have gotten me through some tough times and my dads endurance accomplishments will forever inspire me. I also have a deep love for pilates and strength work outs. My fitness philosophy has evolved so much over the years, and now I see it as empowerment, confidence and resilience that makes me stronger each day from the inside out.
4. Adventure Seeker: I love mountains. Not just climbing them but having them nearby or in my vision makes me feel centered and grounded. It’s this unexplained sense of peace that washes over me. Cheesy? Maybe but hey it’s apart of me.
5. NERD Alert: I am a true glasses-wearing geek at heart. Chemistry, anatomy, biology and nutrient metabolism were some of my favorite courses in college. I love learning the WHY behind things so I’m constantly delving into the underlying ways our body work. Food and health aren’t just pretty Instagram photos. There’s so much more REAL,functional stuff to it.
5. Fun Fact: I am obsessed with Mark Wahlberg, probably more than anyone you will ever meet. You can find me rocking out to Good Vibrations while getting pumped up for a workout on a daily basis.
6. FAVORITE THINGS: shopping farmers markets (or Trader Joe’s), baking for friends, reading inspiring books, sunrise runs with a podcast, creating and learning, earthy colors, rustic coffee shops, practicing Pilates, strength based fitness, exploring new restaurants, traveling, giving back to the environment, campfire smells, studying science and wine nights with my gal pals. (I like a lot of things!)
7. Wellness Approach: To me wellness doesn’t mean consuming 10 adapotgenic herbs and spending $10 on almond milk everyday. There’s a huge difference between what’s trendy and good old simple nourishment. The ideas on here are SIMPLE and I strive for minimal ingredients for maximum nutrition. Not trying to pass judgement or anything but I’m more about the down to earth uncomplicated approach for #livingmybestlife
8. My Morning Routine: I am 1000% a morning person. Like EARLY early. I’m usually up around 5:30/6am and there’s nothing I love more than that quiet, crisp feeling followed by a kick ass workout. Daily movement truly fuels my body the rest of the day and brings mental clarity. Extra hot coffee and a sweet smoothie bowl or pancake breakfast to follow is also a must.
9. The Recipes: The recipes and inspiration you will find on here are simply what I love to eat to feel healthy (no extensive weird ingredients required)! They can be modified to fit most needs and are naturally gluten free/free of cows milk but I don’t label myself paleo, gluten free, dairy free, blah blah blah. Personally, I strive for HONEST ingredients and wholesome foods that nourish the body for an active lifestyle. I believe in science and honoring our own unique physiological processes to fully THRIVE. There is a lot of judgement and confusing info out there, we are all on our own health journey and I completely respect that. #YOUDOYOUBOO
10. Favorite Eats: rich dark chocolate peanut butter cupcakes, loaded fish tacos, thick smoothie bowls with granola, warm banana bread and all things sushi. OH AND crispy roasted potatoes! (an eclectic mix that is constantly changing). In the end, I love making healthy foods delicious but I also love slow mornings at Tatte Bakery when my soul craves it.